What do understand about character?
Take some time to think about what it means to say you are a good person of character. Take 5 to 10 minutes to list down some attributes that describe a person of good character.
“Human greatness does not lie in wealth or power, but in character and goodness. People are just people, and all people have faults and shortcomings, but all of us are born with a basic goodness.”
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/annefrank752405.html?src=t_character
Lets use an illustration to describe character:
What happens when a full can of soda is under pressure by pushing down on top of it? The can of soda can withstand the pressure.
What happens when the can of soda is empty and we apply the same amount of pressure ? It gets crushed.
The cans of soda represents us when we are full of character, the full can and when we are not full of character, the crushed can. We have all experienced examples of each, the great news is that we can all learn to develop our character when we are under pressure. We can start by understanding what character is.
We can break down character into 6 traits:
- Trustworthiness – deserving of trust or confidence; dependable; reliable. (Dictionary.com)
- Honesty – truthfulness, sincerity, or frankness. (Dictionary.com)
- Loyalty – the state or quality of being loyal; faithfulness to commitments or obligations. (Dictionary.com)
- Respect – to hold in esteem or honour (Dictionary.com)
- Responsibility – the state or fact of being responsible, answerable, or accountable for something within one’s power, control, or management.(Dictionary.com)
- Compassion – a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering. (Dictionary.com)
“Goodness is about character – integrity, honesty, kindness, generosity, moral courage, and the like. More than anything else, it is about how we treat other people.”
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/dennisprag471259.html
You are unique and special, and so are all the people around you, even the people you do not like. We are all different in some way and we are all special.
What does it mean to be unique?
We all need to feel good about who we are but…, how do we express our uniqueness, if we follow the crowd, by dressing same, thinking the same and doing the same things. Generally people who succeed in their purpose, in this short life, have the courage to full-fill their purpose while doing right by others.
Think about what you have to give up to be part of the so called “in crowd” and what you have to do to be accepted. Can you live free of the “in crowd” the expectations others have for you?
What Self Respect Means- Self respect is defined as holding yourself in esteem and believing that you are good and worthy of being treated well. (Yourdictionary.com)
Having Good Self Respect means –
- a healthy view of your self
- a quite sense of self worth
- a positive outlook
- feeling satisfied with your self most of the time
- making realistic goals
Life has difficult choices, the beauty is that we have choices. If you can find out more about yourself, you can build your self confidence. Your built up self esteem can help you live free from plans that everyone else makes for you.
Make a booking with Merrick one of Livefree’s best life counsellors. With Merrick you can do an self esteem assessment and together formulate a path to better self esteem.